Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Years Eve

This year is coming to a close and it is so strange. At some points I thought I would never get through this year. It has changed me more profoundly than I would have ever imagined a single year could change me.
My aunt called me today and we chatted for a while. She then went on to wish me a good new year and I agreed, saying that I hoped the new year would be a much better one than the last. She answered that the last one was not all bad and that we learned so much about us and other people than we would have ever imagined possible. I agree but I still think that the last year was not a good one. There were good moments, for sure. But a good year? Never, not the last one. It made me angry that she could not see my point but felt like she had to lecture me to see the good sides in Alexander’s death. I don’t think that I am someone who does not see that something did come out of his death, there is some kind of legacy that he passed on. That is true. But knowing this does not make the last year a good one. I am disappointed that she could not simply join me in grief. At least we connected in the hope for a better new year.
I really hope that this next year will be better. I wish I could say it could not be worse but this last year also taught me that it always can be. Life cannot be planned. So I am hoping and praying.

2 comments:

  1. Carola -

    I have just read this entire blog and would like to offer my condolences on your loss. I truely hope that one day soon your anguish will subside. I will follow this regulary and will keep you, your family and Alexander in my prayers.

    Respectfully,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Robin. It is very nice to hear from you and certainly helps that you are thinking about and praying for me and my family.
    Carola

    ReplyDelete